Monday, August 17, 2015

My summer reads and Fall to be reads.

I have read some very good books this summer and I thought I'd share some of them with y'all.  



                   The Perfect Place by Teresa E. Harris

I give this book a 9 out of 10. I really liked it! It is the perfect summer read.

That is it for the "already read" list. Pathetic, I know. I have been really busy this summer and I've struggled finding time to read! 

I am reading some books right now though. 




StarGirl by Jerry Spinelli 

I love Jerry Spinelli's books (I have read Loser and Milkweed) so it's no wonder I'm already loving this one. I'm not very far into it, but it's so good! from what I've read so far, I give it a 81/2 out of 10.


Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K Rowling
Two years ago I started this book, but never got into it. I am kind of feeling the same way. I don't know if I'm going to continue reading it, although I would like to be able to say I've read the whole series, And I also am anxious to watch the movies, but I refuse to watch movies before reading the books. Like I said, I'm not really loving this so I give it a 4 out of 10.



American Girl Meet Addy.
I am pretty sure that Meet Addy was written by Connie Porter. American Girl had several names under author, so I'm not positive.
As part of History this year, I am learning about the civil rights movement and the Underground Railroad. Since Addy is a slave, I am reading it as a fun short read that ties into what I'm reading. Since the American Girl books are intended for kids, they aren't that well written, but I am still enjoying it. From what I've read so far, I give it a 7 out of 10. 



Just Plain Nora by Jennifer Hutchins. 
This is a short, fun read, and it's really cool, because my internet friend's Mom wrote it! I think thats so cool! It is so sweet and I am enjoying it:) I have not gotten very far, so I haven't really gotten a feel for it yet, but based on what I've read, I give it a 7 out of 10. 


On to my TBR's (To Be Reads)
I can't wait to read these!


The Two Princesses Of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine
This sounds really good! Here is the summery* from Amazon:
A kingdom beset by monsters . . .
A disease that weakens and destroys . . .
An epic poem and a hero of long ago . . .
A story of danger and desperation.
The Two Princesses of Bamarre couldn't be more different. Princess Addie is fearful and shy. Her deepest wish is for safety. Princess Meryl is bold and brave. Her deepest wish is to save the kingdom of Bamarre. They are sisters, and they mean the world to each other.
Then disaster strikes, and Addie -- terrified and unprepared -- sets out on a perilous quest. In her path are monsters of Bamarre: ogres, specters, gryphons, and dragons. Addie must battle them, but time is running out, and the sister's lives -- and Barmarre's fate -- hang in the balance.
*I did not write this nor did I participate in writing this. All rights go to Gail Carson Levine and Amazon. 




The Face On The Milk Carton by Caroline B. Cooney
This sounds really interesting and kind off eerie... I can't wait to read it! Here is the summery* off Amazon:

No one ever really paid close attention to the faces of the 
missing children on the milk cartons. But as Janie Johnson glanced at the face of the ordinary little girl with her hair in tight pigtails, wearing a dress with a narrow white collar—a three-year-old who had been kidnapped twelve years before from a shopping mall in New Jersey—she felt overcome with shock. She recognized that little girl—it was she. How could it possibly be true?

Janie can't believe that her loving parents kidnapped her, but as she begins to piece things together, nothing makes sense. Something is terribly wrong. Are Mr. and Mrs. Johnson really her parents? And if not, who is Janie Johnson, and what really happened?

*I did not write this nor did I participate in writing this. All rights go to Caroline B. Cooney and Amazon.

Have you read The Face On the Milk Carton or The Two Princesses Of Bammarre? Let me know how you liked them! 

I know I'm forgetting a book in one of these categories, so if and when I figure it out, I will add it. 

Thanks for reading!!! 









3 comments:

  1. I have read both books on your TBR's, and Stargirl. Here is what I have to say;

    The Two Princesses of Bamarre- An AMAZING book, I am actually re-reading it right now. All of gails books are amazing, but I hated the ending of this book. When you finish reading it I'd love it if you could email me and tell me what you think of the ending. I also love her book Fairest, and if you haven't already read it, do so. The beginning is a little slow, but it turned out to be one of my favorite books ever.

    The Face On the Milk Carton- I don't want to ruin anything because by writing about this book I could give a lot away. Let me just say though, this book was very touching and very well written.

    Stargirl- Meeeehhh. I don't know. I really liked the first half of the book, but I don't like how Leo ended up in the second half of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Izzy:D I can't get into your blog to tell you this since you made it private, but I did thin that the end of the Two Princesses Of Bammare was a bit strange. Like, Addie goes on this big quest to save her sister and she loses her anyway! It also felt rushed. I did like that Addie and Rhys got together. Overall I did enjoy the book, even though the end wasn't that great. One of my to be reads now is Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine, so I'm excited to see how that one compares to TTPOB
      ~Lilah

      Delete
  2. I am really excited to start reading the Two Princesses of Bamarre, especially now that I know it's good! I'm sure I could tell you my thoughts about the ending:) Thanks for sharing your opinion!
    ~Lilah
    www.worldofmagic-ljs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thank you for writing to me :)