- Find a brown and black banded woolly bear caterpillar in October (check the lawn, garden, or even the road)
- Put it in a clear plastic jar with a lid (be sure to punch holes in the lid)
- Add a twig in the jar and include some fresh grass for your bear to eat. Note: Put fresh grass in everyday. Soon your bear will tire of perching on the twig and will go to sleep on the bottom.
- Remove any remaining grass but leave the twig in the jar all winter long.
- Find a place outside that is protected from bad weather (a covered porch is nice) and you will be able to watch it hibernate.
- In the spring, when weeds start to turn green it is time to feed your bear. Feed it fresh grass every day. Soon it will spin its magic cocoon of silk.
- In about a week it will become the Isabella Tiger moth. On a nice day, take the jar outside and set your "tiger" free.
Monday, March 21, 2011
How to find a black banded wooly bear caterpillar
I found a woolly bear caterpillar a while ago and that's why I got interested in the creature
Posted by LJS at 6:13:00 AM